Jay Shetty was born in London and moved to India to live as a monk for 3 years. His goal “making wisdom go viral,” is a present theme of the book and he references many different sources to encompass his way of life.
- “I am not what I think I am, and I am not what you think I am. I am what I think you think I am.” -Charles Horton Cooley
- ”If you can’t explain something simply, you don’t understand it well enough.” -Albert Einstein
- “It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else’s life with perfection.” -Bhagavad Gita 3.35
- When you try to live your most authentic life, some of your relationships will be put in jeopardy. Losing them is a risk worth bearing; finding a way to keep them in your life is a challenge worth taking on.
- When we tune out the opinions, expectations, and obligations of the world around us, we begin to hear ourselves.
- Who you surround yourself with helps you stick to your values and achieve your goals. You grow together. If you want to run a 2:45 marathon, you don’t train with people who run a 4:45.
- “Do not give your attention to what others do or fail to do; give it to what you do or failed to do” – Buddha
- “Fear does not prevent death. It prevents life.” -Buddha
- “It is not possible to control all external events; but if I simply control my mind, what need is there to control other things?“ -Śāntideva
- You can’t be anything you want. But you can be everything you are.
- “Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it.“ -the Dalai Lama
- Treat yourself with the same love and respect you want to show others.
- “We train our brains. In the end, it is your mind that translates the outside world into happiness or misery.“ -Matthieu Ricard
- “What belongs to you today, belonged to someone yesterday and will be someone else’s tomorrow.“ -Bhagavad Gita
- “Believe those who search for the truth; doubt those who have found it.” -André Gide
- Don’t judge the moment. As soon as you label something as bad, your mind starts to believe it. Instead, be grateful for setbacks. Allow the journey of life to progress at its own pace and in its own roundabout way. The universe may have other plans in store for you.
- “Every person is a world to explore.” -Thich Nhat Hanh
- “The only thing that stays with you from the moment you’re born until the moment you die is your breath. All your friends, your family, the country you live in, all of that change. The only thing that stays with you is your breath.
- Whenever you give out any energy — love, hate, anger, kindness — you will always get it back. One way or another. Love is like a circle. Whatever love you give out, it always comes back to you.