Psycho-Cybernetics is an eye-opening self-help book about developing a positive mind-body connection. Dr. Maxwell Maltz was a cosmetic surgeon, and through seeing the insecurities in his patients, created a system to improve self-image and achieve a more successful and fulfilling life.
CHECK IT OUT:
• All your actions, feelings, and behaviors —even your abilities—are always consistent with your self image. You will “act like” the sort of person you conceive yourself to be.
• You act, and feel, not according to what things are really like, but according to the image your mind holds of what they are like.
• “Men are disturbed not by the things that happen, but by their opinions of the things that happen.” -Epictetus
• Hold a picture of yourself long and steadily enough in your mind’s eye and you’ll be drawn towards it. Picture yourself as defeated and that alone will make victory impossible. Picture yourself as winning and that alone will contribute immeasurably to success. Great living starts with a picture, held in your imagination, of what you’d like to do or be.
• “Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” -Abraham Lincoln
• Skill learning of any kind is accomplished by trial and error, mentally correcting aim after an error, until a “successful” motion, movement, or performance has been achieved.
• Learn to emotionally tolerate imperfection in yourself. It is necessary to intellectually recognize our shortcomings, but disastrous to hate ourselves because of them.
• You make mistakes. Mistakes don’t make you.
• You must learn to trust your creative mechanism to do its work and not jam it by becoming too concerned or too anxious as to whether it will work or not. You must “let it” work rather than “make it” work.
• “The measure of mental health is the disposition to find good everywhere.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
• Get yourself a goal worth working for. Always have something ahead of you to “look forward to”—to work for and hope for. Look forward, not backwards. Develop a “nostalgia for the future” instead of for the past.
• You must have the courage to act, for only by actions can goals, desires, and beliefs be translated into realities.
• Develop an enthusiasm for life, create a need for more life, and you will receive more life.