Perception By Dennis Proffitt

Perception: How our bodies shape our mind is a fantastic psychology book about the relation between our psychical body and our perception of reality. It can be summarized by this example; A hill will seem steeper to someone who is out of shape, compared to a fit individual.


CHECK IT OUT:

GOODREADS | AMAZON


KEY TAKEAWAYS:

• Perception guides actions. Being disconnected from your body can lead not only to worse decisions but also to greater anxiety.

• Most of the calories that we expend in a given day—80 percent—-are burned by metabolic processes needed just to keep us alive. We have choice only over how we spend the remaining 20 percent: and of this 20 percent, a staggering 89 percent is burned by walking.

• “Above all, do not lose your desire to walk. Everyday, I walk myself into a state of well-being & walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it. But by sitting still, & the more one sits still, the closer one comes to feeling ill. Thus if one just keeps on walking, everything will be all right.” -Søren Kierkegaard

• Running, when paired with meditation, has been shown to lessen depressive symptoms in people with major depressive disorder.

• The World Health Organization says depression is the number one cause of disability worldwide, affecting 322 million people, or about the equivalent to the entire US population.

• To someone holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

• According to the American Civil Liberties Union, 25 percent of all law enforcement shootings involve unarmed suspects.

• In 2005, just 7 percent of US adults used social media; it was 65 percent by 2015.

• Humans are übersocial animals. Being socially connected is essential for health, well-being, and happiness. The data shows that having only a few friends or close acquaintances is more likely to make you ill and cause your death than such obvious health risks as smoking and obesity.

• A large-scale survey of nearly 7,000 adults in the San Francisco Bay Area found that over a nine-year period, the risk of all causes of death—that is, the chance of dying for any reason—was more than twice as high for people with the fewest social ties as those with the most.

• Health, longevity, happiness, and cognitive functioning are all maintained and improved by social support. Holding a loved ones hand reduces anxiety. Hills look less daunting when ascended with a friend.


LEAVE A COMMENT with your favorite takeaway!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s