Fooled By Randomness is a book about luck- more precisely how we perceive and deal with luck in business and life. Nassim Taleb is the founder of Empirica Capital, a crisis trading firm and a professor of mathematical sciences at New York University. The book mainly focuses on investing.
CHECK IT OUT:
• No matter how sophisticated our choices, how good we are at dominating the odds, randomness will have the last word.
• Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.
• Investors and businesses are not paid in probabilities; they are paid in dollars. Accordingly, it is not how likely an event is to happen that matters, it is how much is made when it happens that should be the consideration.
• The wise man listens to meaning, the fool only gets the noise.
• “For the gods perceive things in the future, ordinary people things in the present, but the wise perceive things about to happen.” -C.P. Cavafy
• At a given time in the market, the most profitable traders are likely to be those that are best fit to the latest cycle.