First glance… seems like a children’s book—the length, word spacing and illustrations. Upon further reading, an abundance of straightforward wisdom. Now, I understand why this book is so popular and universally loved. Simple and impactful.
CHECK IT OUT:
GOODREADS | AMAZON
• 1st Agreement: Be Impeccable With Your Word.
• Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
• When you are impeccable, you take responsibility for your actions, but you do not judge or blame yourself.
• The truth is the most important part of being impeccable with your word.
• 2nd Agreement: Don’t Take Anything Personally.
• Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
• It is not what I am saying that is hurting you; it is that you have wounds that I touch by what I have said. You are hurting yourself.
• Do not expect people to tell you the truth because they also lie to themselves. You have to trust yourself and choose to believe or not to believe what someone says to you.
• If others say one thing, but do another, you are lying to yourself if you don’t listen to their actions. But if you are truthful with yourself, you will save yourself a lot of emotional pain,
• If someone is not treating you with love and respect, it is a gift if they walk away from you.
• 3rd Agreement: Don’t Make Assumptions.
• Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
• It is always better to ask questions than to make an assumption, because assumptions set us up for suffering.
• 4th Agreement: Always Do Your Best.
• Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgement, self-abuse, and regret.
• Whatever life takes away from you, let it go. When you surrender and let go of the past, you will allow yourself to be fully alive in the moment.
• Repetition makes the master.
• 95% of the beliefs we have stored in our minds are nothing but lies, and we suffer because we believe all these lies.
• The dream you are living is your creation. It is your perception of reality that you can change at any time. You have the power to create hell, and you have the power to create heaven.
5 thoughts on “The Four Agreements By Miguel Ruiz”
I loved this book and have tried to live by all of these. Number 2 is the one that has had to most profound impact. 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
The part about assumptions is good. It’s best to ask questions, to communicate, to share. But not always easy.
LikeLiked by 1 person
100% agree, those conversations are never easy
Why do I feel this quote and resonate while reading your inputs “You learn who you are by unlearning whom they taught you to be”! Speak with integrity is a punishment in today’s world than coated with lies because some of them ace it by their constant practices.